Terms & Conditions
The majority of data layers and overall site functionality is available to anyone, and provided particularly for use in conservation planning and land use decisions, as well as for informing and educating the public. These publicly available data and information pertain to the conservation status of lands, various conservation values of lands and other base map and reference layers to support use of these data. These day are available for public use on site, for map making and open sharing. However, use of this basic information should NOT be substituted for a project review or for on-site surveys required for environmental assessments of specific project areas. This information provides information derived from timestamped data from multiple sources, intended to summarize conservation status and values.
Some additional sensitive data and functionality are provided on this site to subscribers, under specific the Terms and Conditions in the License Agreement signed by subscribers and Virginia DCR. Under such License Agreement, data are subject to the following conditions:
- The license is nonexclusive and revocable.
- The license is nontransferable, and any attempted transfer is void.
- The license conveys no rights for Licensee to release or distribute these data, or derivative works containing these data, in any electronic/magnetic or machine-readable form.
- Licensee will identify "Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation, Natural Heritage Program" as data source on any map or publication using DCR data. If format permits, Licensee will also include the date provided.
- Licensee will provide DCR with a list of any reports or printed materials prepared using Natural Heritage Program data, and will provide a sample copy of such material if requested by DCR.
- Although DCR maintains high standards of data quality control, DCR makes no warranty as to the fitness of the data for any purpose, nor that the data are necessarily accurate or complete.
- Licensee understands and acknowledges that these data are provided for planning and assessment purposes only. Specific projects or activities should be reviewed for potential environmental impacts with appropriate regulatory agencies. If ground-disturbing activities are proposed in the vicinity of indicated natural heritage resources, DCR will be contacted for a site-specific review of the project area.
- Licensee understands and acknowledges that release of precise species locations may threaten natural heritage resources. Licensee shall take reasonable precautions to ensure the security of species locations.
- Licensee understands and acknowledges that the accuracy of these data is time-limited. Licensee agrees to use DCR-provided data only for the term specified by DCR, and to incorporate all updates provided by DCR. By the following date: (which shall be no later than one year following the issuance of this license), Licensee will either
- certify that all copies of these data have been destroyed or returned to DCR-DNH; or
- complete arrangements with DCR to renew the subscription. These arrangements will include an updated license.
- This License is the entire agreement between the parties with respect to the subject matter hereof. It shall be construed in accordance with the law of the Commonwealth of Virginia and may be amended only in writing signed by both parties.
- By accepting the DCR data, Licensee agrees to abide by all of the above conditions. Licensee shall sign this license and return it to DCR to indicate receipt and acknowledgment of the terms of this license.